Guest

my dog ate about 15 m&ms what should i do


Asked by Member 804354 on Feb 14th 2009 in Other Food & Nutrition
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Mini

Depends on how sensitive your dog is and how big he/she is. Just watch him closley and if anything happens go to the Vet. (For example, vomiting, dirreah, abnormal fatigue etc) If nothing changes for about a week, you should be safe. Just be more careful next time, Good luck!


Mini answered on 2/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Cleo

It depends on how much your dog weighs. A very small dog can seizure from chocolate while a large dog may show no symptoms at all.

Watch for these signs; dilated pupils, trouble breathing, lethargy - get to your vet immediately.

Mild diarrhea or vomiting is okay unless to doesn't go away in a few hours.


Cleo answered on 2/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Zackintosh CJ

Were they milk chocolate or dark? Dark chocolate is much more dangerous than milk, and just about any amount of bakers chocolate will kill a dog.
That said, then like the others said, just watch the dog for a while, if it seems to be sick, vomiting, has diarrhea, lethargic etc, or even just doesn't seem "normal" then call your vet and see if the dog needs to be brought in.
It all depends on what kind of chocolate and the size of the dog. 15 m&ms probably wouldn't have an effect on a 60 pound dog, but would be dangerous for a 10 pound one.
My sisters dog ( 30 pounds) got into some Reeses and ate 2, she of course freaked out but they were milk chocolate and the dog is pretty big so he was okay.
Good luck!


Zackintosh CJ answered on 2/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer


Benny

When it comes to chocolate most will not hurt your pet but they may get a loose stool from it. What everyone needs to pay attention to is Baking chocolate's. Bakers chocolate is what can kill your pet, yet, I would still keep them away. If you have caught your pet and they consumed an abundance of cholocate you can always force feed your dog H2O2 or hydrogen peroxide as we call it. This will make them vomit and empty the stomach of such contents. It doesn't take much hydrogen peroxide. If after the first administration of hydrogen peroxide your dogs doesn't vomit give a bit more until they vomit. It takes around 1-5 minutes for it to work, but it depends on the tolerance your dog has to such treatments.
Hope to be of help,

B-
M-


Benny answered on 2/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Dieta

Sounds like you need to buy some charcoal bisquits at the store. When she gets into chocolate again feed her some of this to absorb it but chocolate can be very dangerous for dogs.


Dieta answered on 2/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer