My dog ate a bunch of raw chicken,what wll happen?

Asked by Member 845913 on Jun 14th 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Holly

Depends how much! It's perfectly fine for dogs to eat raw meat, but if he way overate he'll probably get a stomachache from eating too much. If he's acting fine and nothing is out of the ordinary, he's alright.

Holly answered on Jun 14th.

Answers

My dog lives on raw chicken and other types of raw meat, raw bones, and raw organs. I feed him a raw diet.
Nothing will happen, except possibly a bout of diarhea and maybe some vomiting since he's not used to eating raw foods. It's to be expected with dogs that normally eat kibble, but nothing to become alarmed over unless it continues for a long period of time.

Seth

I agree with the others, i have fed raw chicken to some of my dogs and it was not a problem. They are right it may upset the stomach but nothing to run to the vet about.

Seth answered on 6/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Assuming the chicken was fresh and kept in sanitary conditions, he'll most likely be just fine.

If the chicken was spoiled or not kept in sanitary conditions, he could get food poisoning including salmonella which is dangerous. But, again, it's likely he'll be just fine.

Dogs who aren't fed raw normally can have some gastric upset after ingesting raw meat like this, so a small amount of diarrhea or vomiting is possible.

I'd mix in some plain boiled white rice with his dinner tonight to pre-empt any possible diarrhea. It will help soak up any extra acid his stomach is producting if it is irritated and soothe his digestive tract. It will also bind the intestinal contents together and make diarrhea less likely.

Some dogs never have problems with raw foods, but many can't tolerate it. Good luck, hope he's okay.

Bo

I can tell you what's gonna happen. He will never want kibble again :) Joking..
I am sure he will be fine you have received some great advice, I just couldn't help myself..

Bo answered on 6/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer