My dog ate 4 Heartgard plus chewables,the Vet is closed and the EM Vet wants 65.00 just to talk to me on the phone

Asked by Member 1117505 on Jun 25th 2012 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

That's not right for them to charge you to talk to them on the phone, no vet should charge you to talk on the phone to them when they're is an emergency. Call another emergency vet in your area and see what they say.

If I remember correctly, the vet who blogs on Dogster (Dr. Eric Barchas) talked one time about his dog getting into Heartgard as well (or some type of heartworm med), and that it really was not something to be overly concerned about. I would not worry about it, but maybe call your regular vet during office hours or if you are really concerned find another vet who will not charge you just for talking on the phone. If your dog is not acting lethargic, throwing up, etc, I think it will be safe to wait, just keep an eye on him.

CGC,RTD,AKC Brake's LoneRanger

Kansas State University Vet. Teaching Hospital has a free 24 hour hotline for pet owners.
1-785-532-5679
www.ncraoa.com

I worked as a vet tech for a while and did once have a call about a dog that ate several HeartGuard Plus; he was fine. That being said, you also have to take the size of the dog and the dosage ingested into consideration. I'd err on the side of caution and call the hotline.

(I would think your pup will be fine; some vets actually use doses of heartworm medication (ivermectin based) to treat light/early stage Heartworms. But, it's better to be cautious and check with your vet or a reputable hotline to make sure there's nothing to worry about in your situation.)

CGC,RTD,AKC Brake's LoneRanger answered on 6/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer