My dog and cat have green, gunky eyes. Our dog and two cats came home from the kennels, our dog came back with green, gu

My dog and cat have green, gunky eyes. Our dog and two cats came home from the kennels, our dog came back with green, gunky eyes but the two cats were fine, we went away for Between 3 and 4 days (my sister was at home taking care of them), came back and the oldest cat had it too, both my Cat and Dog, Minty and Goldie are old (Dog is 13 years old & Cat is 14 years old) and they have it, however the youngest one Keatsy (3 years old) has no signs of the gunky eyes, Goldie and Minty stay inside majority of the time but Keatsy is always outside. We have tried bathing the dogs eyes in salty water but it didn't really seem to do much, the cat just got very grumpy when i tried to do it with her.

Asked by Member 1149344 on Jan 10th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

There are strains of bordetella which can affect both dogs and cats. It sounds like this may be the problem since they were boarded recently.
I would certainly call the kennel and report this as, being the owner of a boarding kennel, I, for one, want to know if anything is going around in my kennel.
Sadly, the vaccines do not prevent all strains of the virus, and it is spread by contact between infected animals, pretty hard to avoid when in a kennel.
Normally the disease runs it course in 8 to 10 days, however, it is not uncommon to lead to a bacterial infection, which does require antibiotics, especially in older animals.
I would definitely at the least give a call to your vet and see what they recommend as far as seeing your guys or not.