Bruiser

My dachshund is 5 months old and his ears are standing up or ary times they lay pointed back. I heard of ''flying ears''

Asked by Bruiser on Sep 20th 2012 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Wow, I've never seen or even heard of a Dachshund with standing ears. Are you sure he's purebred, and not, say, a Doxie/Chihuahua ("Chiweenie") or Doxie/Min Pin ("DoxiePin")? Did you see both his parents, and did they have normal Dachshund ears?

However it happened, it's pretty cute!

So called "flying ears" happen during teething in most cases, which sounds about right for his age, BUT...I have never seen them standing straight up like his do. They usually just flip out to the side a bit, and will straighten out when teething is finished.
I have to agree with Bruno...are you sure he is purebred and not a mixed breed???
In all my years with dogs I have never seen a dachshund with that small ears and ears that stood up like that!!!

It has to be a mix. I can't imagine a purebred dachshund with standing ears. If that is the case, then I guess it is normal. Rest a vet can help you with this strange issue.