My cattle dog chases the cats and chickens, and I don't know what to do.

I know chasing is instinctual to cattle dogs, and I intended to work on training Ryder not to chase our pets, but I am a little confused. The cats try to get Ryder to chase them. Should I allow this? Also, I was expecting him to be respectful of our chickens since he is so young (three months) but he was trying to chase them through the fence. Gone is my hope that the rooster won't see him as a threat! My rooster is pretty territorial and has sharp spurs. I am not sure how to let him meet my puppy without Ryder getting hurt. I feel like the meeting needs to happen soon before Ryder gets too big to learn to leave the chickens alone. Does anybody have any advice? Thank you in advance!

Asked by Member 1160770 on Apr 27th 2013 Tagged chasing, cats, chickens in Australian Cattle Dog

Answers

You are right that the chasing is instinctual. I would teach him the " Leave It" command. That's to be used for anything he can never have, which would be the cats and the chickens. I would put him on a leash and drop something on the floor he wants and hold the leash so he can't reach it. Tell him to leave it and then give him a treat. Repeat until he gets it. Then you can use it for the cats and the chickens, then treat him again. I don't know much about roosters, but I don't think it's a good idea to let him meet the rooster. He could really hurt your dog. Good Luck!