Chewy

My bulldog won't eat all of his food, what do i do?

My 14 month old English Bulldog has always loved to eat. He would gobble it down so fast he almost choke on his food. But over the last few days he has been only eating about half of his food. He doesn't get any people food and is on a eating schedule, (same time everyday).
We feed him Nutro Ultra (holistic), about 1 1/2 cups in the morning and the same at night.
Why could he be doing this?
We are afraid to switch foods, he is very sensitive and gets the runs very easy even when slowly mixing a different food with his current.

Asked by Chewy on Jul 21st 2008 Tagged bulldog, noteating, pickyeater in Other Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Maya

Maya used to gobble down her food too. When she got about a year she stopped eating it all right away and just nibbled throughout the day. Keep the same brand of food but take him off the schedule and feed him 2 times a day. But only give him more food when he finshed what he was already given.

Maya answered on Jul 21st.

Answers

Jiggs  CGC

It's possible his growing is slowing down and he isn't as hungry. I wouldn't switch foods yet. If you're concerned about him, a vet visit would be the best idea to rule out any medical problems. I understand how you feel we would be concerned if our Bulldogs didn't eat all their food. Jiggs used to bolt his food down but he finally slowed down his eating, however, he does finish it all.

Jiggs CGC answered on 7/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Shogun

Do a quick check and make sure his tummy isn't hard. If his tummy is hard he may have eaten something he shouldn't have and you need to take him to the vet.

If not, I agree his growing may have slowed down. I was told that dogs don't always eat everyday in the wild and not to be concerned about if they skip a day.

If he totally stops eating for more than a day I would make a call to your vet.

Shogun answered on 7/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer