My brother's lab/rott mix growls at me even though we are familiar?

My brother has been staying with me for some time and has a lab/rott mix who is very sweet. He and I play fetch and he allows me to rub and pet him often. Sometimes though, he gets weird all of a sudden and starts to growl at me when I am petting him. This happens every once in a while but my brother always says that Ramsey never really growled at anyone else before me. Why is it that he growls at me? What are some things I could do to gain his trust?

Asked by Member 1145741 on Dec 18th 2012 Tagged growl in Behavior & Training

Answers

Sometimes my dog makes some grunting/growling type noises when he's scratched in a particular spot, but he tries to make that spot easier for me to get to so I think he does it because he likes it. Could that possible be what this is?

Some dogs don't like being touched certain places.
Another possibility is maybe he's in pain on a particular area where he's being petted? If you think this is a possibility, he should be seen by a vet.

Bailey

Take note of how/where you're petting him when he growls. If its every time you pet a specific spot- it could just be a place he doesn't like being touched. Or are you hovering over him while you pet him when he starts to growl?
With people she is just getting to know try and pet the top of her head (a dominant position) she nips and growls at them. Until she fully trusts someone she does not tolerate any dominant behavior from the person- and most of the time the general public has no idea when they're coming off as dominant in dog-language.

Bailey answered on 12/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

i also have a lab/rott. mine is very sweet but also very protective with our family members. even his friends are subject to an occasional reminder that he is the protector.