My boyfriend and I are thinking about getting a puppy...

This question is geared more towards owners of a "Bully breed" who also have a cat. One of my boyfriend's co-workers is breeding her purebred pit bull (I think it's the "traditional") and has promised us one of the puppies. The female is only a bit over a year old, so it will be awhile until we can get a puppy. Anyway, my question is what is the best way to get the puppy (who would be brought home between 8 and 12 weeks) and the cat adjusted to each other BEFORE the puppy moves in? The cat does good with dogs, he's met the neighbor's dogs and just sniffs them and walks away with a disdainful expression. He's even let them waltz into our apartment when they've escaped from her's. But I want the dog trained well with Fuzz, other dogs, and kids, in case the worst happens and it has to be put up for adoption. We don't foresee it as a possibility, but want to be prepared for any eventuality. And I know the training to make it good with kids, cats, and dogs will also help with BSL. TIA!

Asked by Member 600152 on Mar 29th 2012 in Socialization

Answers

So much to address..so few characters: a dog is a LIFETIME committment, not trained with giving it away later in mind. Your friend is not being responsible..no dog should be bred until at least 2 years old, been health tested, is a shining example of the breed, able to improve the breed. So many bullies in shelters, pounds, rescues..look there first & you may find one in foster care who is living with cats. You could take Fuzz to meet the puppy first, but cats generally do not like to travel, so it may not be ideal. A crate is your best friend if you choose to bring pup home first. Keep him crated & give Fuzz a high spot where he can escape. Enrol in a puppy class which is ideal for socialization & increasing your bond.

Bianca

Pit bull is a type of dog, not a breed. The American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and American Staffordshire Terrier are breeds. Due to their strong prey drive, they are generally not recommended for homes with cats.

I agree with the previous poster. It sounds like you have very high expectations for this dog (ie. your dog MUST be this or that, and you are already thinking there are reasons you would give it away). This indicates you may not be ready for a puppy.

If you don't have much dog experience, it may be better to consider ADULT dogs whose temperaments have already been formed, who have already had some training, and who are already socialized with kids, cats, and other dogs. Start looking for a reputable breed rescue that uses foster homes. After you have some pittie experience, maybe then consider a puppy.

Pit bull type dogs are very hard to rehome to decent homes, if you can't commit to the dog for it's entire life you probably shouldn't get one.

Bianca answered on 3/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Carter

I would get the home prepped for puppy. Doggy gates, might even have to get the tools that lock the cub-boards. Since its going to be a pit-bull.LOTS and LOTS of chew toys.Mostly bones and kongs. Alot of things that are going to stimulate him. DO NOT get stuffed toys you will regret it whenever you leave and come back home. Make sure that everything is off the floor because it will be gone.Literally will be gone most pit-bulls will either shred it or eat it. As for introducing cat and dog. get a blanket that has the cat smell on it or even a toy and bring it to the puppy and let him/her smell it and play with him/her with it and lots of treats.Do the same thing with the cat with something that smells like the dog with lots of petting. Hope you and your furry friends a happy life.

Carter answered on 4/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer