Cashew

My Border Collie/Australian Cattle Dog mix doesn't travel well. Advice?

I can't figure out if she legitimately gets car sick or if she's just nervous. She's never thrown up, but I've seen her gag a couple of times. Her nose sweats profusely, and it's the only time she really drools. She's constantly laying down and getting back up, pacing in the back seat -- the only times she really holds still is when she's got her front paws up on the center console (console surfing, if you will). Rolling the windows down doesn't seem to make a difference. Anybody have advice?

Asked by Cashew on Jun 14th 2011 Tagged travel, carsickness, nervousnessincar in Car Travel

Best Answer

Maybe you could create positive associations with riding in the car- maybe start with putting her in it, give her a good treat, and then let her out. Gradually progress to driving around the block with her (lots of treats) and then taking her in the car to places she really loves, like the dog park or a friend's house or something.

Maggie used to HATE car rides, we had to manhandle her into the car, and the whole time in it she acted nervous. That stopped when I started taking her to training class and the dog park regularly. She learned that car rides equal going fun places! Now she jumps right in.

My own dog, Bruno, gets carsick for REAL- pukes on almost every long drive. The things that help him the most are:
1. Ginger (I use 1 teaspoon of powdered ginger mixed with peanut butter)
2. Me driving very carefully and at least 5 mph below the speed limit, especially on curvy and bumpy roads.

Bruno CGC answered on Jun 14th.

Answers

Jazzy

She may have car anxiety and if she's gagged a few times she may have motion sickness as well. Talk to your vet and ask about tranquilizers. Tranquilizers won't make her drowsy or sleepy it'll just simply calm her down during car rides. She may have had a bad experience with cars when she was little if you haven't had her since she was a pup or she hasn't gone in many car rides so that may make her anxious. I would talk to your vet about what you can do to make her more comfortable during rides in the car.

Jazzy answered on 6/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer