my bichon is loosing most of his hair

hi i hope someone can help me. my bichon frise has lost his hair from round his neck and on his back. he is only 20wks old, so i am a bit worried about this. he seems a bit young for loosing his puppy coat. i have checked him for the usual things, i.e. flea's, ticks, shampoo. i am getting quite worried about him or am i just being silly. i really hope some one can help

Asked by Member 1079693 on Dec 25th 2011 Tagged bichon, hair, loss in Shedding

Answers

Is he getting bald in those areas? If not I'd say he's just shedding.
If he is getting bald, I'd call the vet up.

I try to swap foods. I csnt recommend Natures Variety more. Go to the site and read some testomonials. The site has a feeding guide, coupons, and info: www.naturesvariety.com the food is made so you can change what type you feed (rabbit,chicken) at every meal. I feed cosette(our puppy) canned, kibble, and raw. You can change which you feed though. Hope. This helped. Check out the site and BE AMAZED!!!!!!! :)

A normal change from puppy to adult coat should not result in major hair loss... normally the old hairs fall out and are replaced by adult hairs, but in the same rate as they normally are replaced, not all at once.
Without more information it is difficult to even try to tell what is happening to your puppy. Is the hair breaking off, or is it actually falling out? What does his skin look like? Is it red, or irritated, is it itchy?
If he were mine I would certainly get it looked at by my veterinarian... if he has mange (either sarcoptic OR demodex) it will require prescription treatments.
A nutritional deficiency would have to be pretty darn major to cause hair loss in a pup this young so I would suspect his diet is NOT creating any issues.
You mention shampoo... how often and with what are you shampooing him??? It is possible the shampoo isn't being thoroughly rinsed and is causing a problem, or the shampoo isn't agreeing or it is just too often to allow his skin oils to build u

here's a bison community help page. someone else had similar problem.
I would rule out food I would not feed any more food with grains. there are no grain foods out there. or you can feed raw see our raw forum
also do not use human shampoo on her.
this is not normal puppy shedding. pups do shed but not if it looks like balding spots.
your dog could be having an allergy reaction to foods or shampoo.
also reduce or eliminate treats. some treats may not be healthy for your dog. I am very choosey about treats in my family.
good luck
bichon.ca