CHOPPER URIAS-MARIS

my baby is about 5-6 yrs old. is he too old to be neutered?

my boyfriend and i were blessed with our adorable baby boy in january. we just recently found out that he is between the ages of 5 & 6. we want to neuter him, for health reason obviously but i am afraid he may be too old to go through it now. he's such a sweet boy and is very sensitive to certain things that may trigger some sort of previous abuse of some kind. i dont want to add to the trauma if this is the case. any suggestions or advise would be appreciated! thank you!

Asked by CHOPPER URIAS-MARIS on Sep 21st 2013 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Ming-Ming

If he was my dog, I would neuter him. Veterinarians can do health/blood/anesthesia testing prior to surgery and the vet will tell you if he is a good candidate for the surgery. And it's far better to have a simple neuter surgery then having to operate when he's 14 years old to remove those tumor-balls.

If you keep calm & positive ..your dog will too, no need for trauma or stress.

Best of luck with your new dog, he's a lucky dog to have a caring guardian like you.

Ming-Ming answered on Sep 21st.

Answers

Definitely do it for your dog and the pet overpopulation problem. He is not too old at all, but he might be if you wait and find him a little playmate a few years from now. Your vet will advise you if there are any health worries to be concerned about, but there shouldn't be if he is a healthy dog. ^_^

Misty

No, he's not too old to be neutered. As a side note, there are some obvious benefits to neutering, the pros pretty much equalling out to the cons, so the specific case is specific to the individual. By the same concept, each dog reacts individually to neutering but the effects tend to be minimal. The dog is anesthetized during the procedure and may have some uncomfortability/pain after the pain medication wears off. I don't believe that neutering would arise any trauma related to abuse or the like, but you know him better than me and would likely be the best judge available.

Misty answered on 9/21/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hello Urias-Maris, The perfect age to neuter a dog starts by 14 months and lasts till 10-12 years. and your baby is only between 5-6. It is not too late to neuter him. Just do this. his age lies in perfect age to be neutered.