My aunt has a small Shetland Sheepdog who is about 12 years old and I noticed that he had a really bad skin infection of some sort. My aunt has not taken the dog to the vet and refuses to which absolutely frustrates me because she believes that it is almost his time to go anyways and doesn't want to spend the money to help him. I've shared a photo of his problem, it's 2 patches that are on his back and hind quarters. The 2nd photo is the worst considering he is able to turn around and lick it which I think causes it to become infected more. Can anyone please help in identifying what this problem could be? Thank you. http://i.imgur.com/9huDQ.jpg

Asked by Member 1141842 on Nov 22nd 2012 Tagged senior, sheltie, shetlandsheepdog, health, skininfection in Skin Problems

Answers

Starbutt

I can't say for sure the second picture doesn't really show much, the first picture looks like scabs or warts. If you think it is a infection get some neosporum and put it on the places, does the dog rub on anything to cause this if so then it is itchy if itchy get some dog shampoo that is for itchy skin also you may want to get some fish oil capsels, if it has a small to it before you put anything on it get some warm water a little above luke warm put table salt in it to taste get a clean wash cloth and put it in the warm water then hold it on the spot of the dog do this till the water is cold, The salt is so to stop infection. Put vaseline over it till you are to do this again it helps keep dirt out yo should do this 3 times a day but if it can only be done once it is ok. I don't know if you need a vet yet if I could see the dog I could tell you more GOOD LUCK

Starbutt answered on 11/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Your aunt's argument is like suggesting we stop administering medications to the elderly because they're going to die soon. If she does not wish to provide medical care to her animal, she might consider giving it to a no kill shelter.

I would bathe the dog with a gentle shampoo, cleanse the wounds,drain any fluids, and use triple antibiotic ointment and a clean dressing. One of those head cone collars will keep him from licking. If this does not work, it may have allergies, mange, or a fungal infection, which will require a vet's care. You might consider taking him to the vet on your own if you have the resources. Bless you for your concern for this animal.