Shadow

My 80lb black lab ate a piece of chocolate cake with lots of chocolate frosting while I was gone! Should I be worried?!

I already know the reasons why its toxic, but its 10pm right now and NO vets open to ask. So I need to know if the amount he ate would be toxic for a dog his size!? Please help


Asked by Shadow on Aug 4th 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • This question is closed.

Best Answer

Lily

If he only ate one piece at his weight, he will be OK. MY Sasha ate 6 oz of semi sweet chocolate chips at 34.5 pounds. I was worried. She was fine. The track team was disappointed they didn't get the cookies.

Be sure he drinks plenty of water even if you have to spike it with a little meat flavored broth.

Toxic amounts;
Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog. 18 ounces for a 60 pound dog

Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog. 6 ounces for a 60 pound dog

So you are way under the amounts. 6 ounces is more than would be in the entire cake. Maybe the amount in a cake plus the frosting, but he didn't eat the whole thing.


Lily answered on Aug 4th.

Other Answers


Answers

Darci - CGC

Are there any emergency vet clinics open? Has he thrown it up? If he is throwing up it's best because there's less theobromine that is being absorbed by the body.

What kind of chocolate was used in the cake? What concerns me is that baker's chocolate is the most toxic to dogs because of the concentrated levels of theobromine in it.

I'm not a vet, but if you are ABSOLUTELY unable to get your pup to a vet it might be best to induce vomitting. I hope Shadow will be all right. Thinking of you!

Lotsa luv,
Darci


Darci - CGC answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


♥Maybelle♥

If he only ate ONE peice, he should be fine! If he starts to throw up, or act strange AT ALL....he needs to get to a vet. But again, with his size, and that ammount, he should be fine.


We have 2 labs besides Maybelle, and they both accidently got into some chocolate....plain chocolate, not just cake! But they were both fine...thank goodness!!


Labs will eat ANYTHING, and EVERYTHING! It's amazing how much a lab will get into, and still be perfectl fine! Just make sure that you keep all ahrmfull things away frfom yer lab.



Keep an aye on Shadow, and watch for anything odd.....but he should be fine:)


♥Maybelle♥ answered on 8/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer