My 7 month old puppy just got spayed. She now has red rash around the skin area that was shaved (not the stiches).

It looks like razor burn. Is there anything I can put on it to help any itching. She seems to be licking this area more.

Asked by Member 860783 on Jul 26th 2009 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Katie

Hi there!

Thank you so much for being a responsible pet owner and having your puppy spayed! Yay!!

If your vet's office is open, the best thing to do is to call him/her and get advice, which should be free over the phone. Since today is Sunday, I would suggest trying a product called the Itch Stick, which I found at PetCo. It looks like a white deodorant container with a red cap, and you can rub it on any itchy spots. It soothes the itchiness, and it tastes yucky, so it should keep her from licking or biting at the rash.

Read the directions on the Itch Stick carefully, because if the skin is broken, it's not recommended.

Make sure to keep your dog from licking the area, as this will cause further irritation. She will probably hate the "cone of shame," but it may be necessary to put one on her when you can't be around to supervise her.

Good luck - I hope she feels better soon!

Katie answered on 7/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Whatever you do don't let her lick her stitches. Make sure she's wearing a cone around her head whenever you're not monitoring her.
Call an emergency vet clinic and ask about what type of ointment would work for razor burn.