Guest

My 5 year old golden retriever/golden lab mix died suddenly on Thursday.

My mother-in-law was taking him for a walk when he started foaming out the mouth and losing control of his bowels. She was able to get him back to the house where he was very lethargic. I was able to get him to our family vet within 10 minutes. We waited about 10 minutes to be seen. During this time our dog seemed to be fine but was breathing short, through his mouth. He went back to have blood work done and when they got ready to do his chest x-ray he went into respiratory distress. A few minutes later his heart just stopped. Any idea what might have happened? He showed no signs of illness up until his walk. To my knowledge he was not exposed to any chemicals. Before death he had a silvery substance on his skin/fur that rubbed off on my hands, almost like an oil?!


Asked by Member 1157922 on Mar 4th 2013 in Loss of a Pet
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Mika

I am very very sorry for your loss......I can't help you with what happened, but just thought I would send some warm wishes your way :)


Mika answered on 3/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer


Beau

Yikes..it almost sounds like he got into antifreeze. Antifreeze is one of the most common ways dogs can get poisoned. If you didn't have it on your property, it's possible if he went to visit a neighbour and got into it there. It could have been another chemical he stumbled across, too, but it does sound like he got into something toxic.

If the vets were able to draw blood, you can check with them on doing a toxicology report to see if they were able to find any traces in his bloodstream.

So sorry to hear of your loss with your boy, though. :-( My condolences.


Beau answered on 3/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer