My 5 month old Kuvasz puppy doesn't like me..?

Well I've had my Kuvasz female puppy for about 2 months and abit now since she was 3 months old/12 weeks. I know Kuvasz's are a aloof breed but she doesn't seem to be very interested in me?

I'm the only one in the house that feeds her, walks her, takes care of her etc - and she's really not interested in me much. But she's crazy about visitors or when she sees even the cleaning lady. We've done training classes together and go many places together but sigh she just seems not that into me =/ does anyone have any insight into this for me?

Asked by Member 1105086 on Apr 9th 2012 Tagged bonding, kuvasz in Behavior & Training

Answers

Some dogs just become more attached to their owners than others. I don't know much about this breed, so I can't say exactly why. My dog, a Jack Russell Terrier mix, loves me and yes, is interested most of the time, but gets a LOT more excited when there's visitors. Dogs see them as NEW EXCITING people. Make sure you research the breed and spend lots of time with your dog. Also, since she's just a puppy, they tend to be more wild and not as loving. That comes later. Good luck!

Kuvasz are a breed bred to be alone, out in a field, protecting the sheep, etc. They are not at all well known as a cuddly, couch potato type dog.
People seem to always get these type of dogs and then are unhappy when they are not like the retrievers and other breeds devoted to their owners.
Sorry, but this is what the breed is, read the breed standard and you will most likely fine she is a perfectly normal Kuvasz... changing years of genetic programming is not likely to happen so you need to love her for what she is.

Correct... normal behavior. New people excite her because she is finally able to do what she was bred to do, keep watch over her "flock" and alert to intruders. She must feel very fulfilled at those times.

I will add that while she is currently excited about new people, it is a puppy response. As an adult she should be protective of her family and territory. Her excitement over new people may change into more of an alert or alarm when they arrive. It may not seem as friendly as it does now, so be cautious with her training in how to greet people and alert you.

Roka

I'm not familiar with the Kuvasz breed but I have an akita who is aloof and independent. I have the same disposition so it works. He does the same thing as your dog when he sees others and sometimes I think to myself, "What am I, chopped liver?" Anyway, when I'm not around, family members tell me that he waits by the window and ignores everyone until I return. I've been told that he checks on me several times at night when I'm sleeping. His quiet, calm presence in the house is comforting. So, what I'm saying is that your dog loves you and will show it when it really matters. When you notice it, you will feel extra special. As the yrs go by the bond will become stronger and you will develop a new understanding that love can come in a strong, silent way that beats out the attn seeking, licking, lap dogs--even though they're cute too. You'll be amazed how much you learn about loyalty and love from your aloof, independent dog. He probably thinks about you all the time :)

Roka answered on 4/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jade

I would suggest handling your dog A LOT! I scratch/massage my dogs neck and give her firm rub/message down her back on either side of her spine. I also get down on the floor and have her sit in my lap. If you can find ways to pet her that feel really good to her that will help with bonding. So might games where she has to find you and gets a reward (like cheese for my dog) once she has.

I happen to spend about an hour a day with mine out in the woods, with her off leash and playing with other dogs, running ahead, lagging behind, exploring. I keep her coming back to me when she goes too far, or is out of sight, with a unique whistle. This has helped her learn that i am what she herds and guards.

My last piece of advice is that she is getting easier with age. Their brains mature at about 5 months. After that she will be much more able to learn how to bond with you too. Believe me, as aloof and independent as she may be, to her you are her world. She loves you.

Jade answered on 10/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Farley

Jade, I have to disagree. Socializing any puppy to being handled and touched is definitely important, but many breeds are not physically affectionate by nature, and if they do not enjoy lots of physical affection, I think it is wise to respect that. Farley is not particularly physically affectionate, he rarely seeks physical affection from me, and especially not from strangers. So, I do not force myself on him, and if he chooses to get up and leave, that is his way of saying "I am not enjoying this", and that's just fine.

Also, dogs do not mentally mature by 5 months old. Large breeds especially, can take 18-24 months to mentally mature.

Farley answered on 10/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer