my 5 month old boxer barks at others when walk by

Asked by Member 986998 on May 13th 2010 Tagged myboxerbarks, tootherswhenwalkby in Barking

Answers

Nina

He needs to be socialized. Let him meet new people so he can realize that they're okay and are not going to harm him/you.

Nina answered on 5/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gus Gus

It really depends on the type of barking he does. My dog is incredibly well socialized, goes to daycare with 30 other dogs twice a week, and still barks at other dogs when we are on walks while he is on leash. It is an excited response (basically him saying come on now lets play, or why won't you let me immediately go play with that dog). Right now i am working on making him sit calmly until the other dog either approaches him, or passes by. It is taking a lot of work, and i have to be vigilant to have him sit as soon as I see the other dog. When we first started this he would have to sit between my legs (so I had control, he's a big boy) and if he barked while sitting like that iwould bring his snout straight up and growl no directly into it. It's been getting better. If your puppy is anything like mine, just be consistent and it will get better. You've entered the terrible teens, and it is frustrating, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Gus Gus answered on 5/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer