Presley Dillon

my 4month german shepherd looks skinny, how much shld I feed him??

I fed Presley 6 chkn thighs, a lb of beef w liver added, a can of sardines, and two soft scrambled eggs w shell, & cottage cheese today. Is this enough food, he really looks skinny to me...

Asked by Presley Dillon on Jun 3rd 2012 in Raw Food

Best Answer

Koby

It's hard to tell if he's skinny in the picture you have posted. Are you doing home cooked? If so, you have to make sure it's balanced. there are some good posts on the home cooked forum on this site if you are doing home cooked. Sometimes when they grow really fast, they get a lanky look. While Koby was growing, I fed him about 2-3 cups of food 2 times a day, depending on how fast he ate it or if he looked pudgy or lanky. (depended on if he was having a growing spurt or not). Good luck with your pup.

Koby answered on Jun 3rd.

Answers

Bentley

That sounds like enough food,one of my dogs looked skinny and he ate a ton, so we took him to the vet to get him checked out and he came back positive for whipworms. I would get a stool sample done by your vet, my vet also told me that some dogs are just not meant to be very big.

Bentley answered on 6/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with Kolby. Go by his appearance & err on the lean side. It is much better for a gsd to be a bit lean to avoid (as much as possible) extra stress on the hips. I don't do homecooked...but that sounds high for the liver. Have you checked the various food forums on the main forums page? There are tons of folks who could help you ensure you are feeding healthy, balanced meals for your gorgeous boy.