Elsie

My 4 month old great dane pup has a very sensitive stomach and is very underweight. How can I put weight on her?

I bought her at 8 weeks old and she's always had diarrhea on and off. After many vet visits, tests, and changes in dog food, we've found a food that she can eat and stopped the runny poopies, but she's very under weight. She's all skin and bones and looks like I've been starving her! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to put some weight on her?

Asked by Elsie on Dec 27th 2011 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Can you post more pictures of her? Great Dane pups are supposed to be bony, you don't want them to put on weight too fast as puppies since they're already predisposed to joint/bone issues from their size and growth rate. You DON'T want her too look like a mini adult Dane. Does her vet recommend putting more weight on her?

I'd say if you've found a food that's working, stick with it. Her physique should gradually improve on its own now that she's actually able to absorb nutrients instead of passing them right through. If she's not eating enough, feed several meals throughout the day instead of one or two. It's also better to schedule-feed than free-feed because she'll get hungrier and eat more at meals instead of picking at her food all day.

Try posting your question in the Health forum on this site. We can answer back and forth there. We can only answer you once here. Kali had the same problem. Our vet suggested Prozyme enzymes. It helps her with her digestion. She gained 25 lbs and became over weight to the point where we had to put her on a diet. I would ask your vet if it would be good for your pup. Good Luck!

Mine also has a ridiculously sensitive stomach, but she's an adult dog, at 3 yrs. She weighs 55 lb, and takes one over the counter Pepcid every 12 hrs. when her stomach is upset. The only thing that doesn't make her sick is lamb & rice formula food. She did well on Iams, but I switched her to Blue Buffalo because it's better quality. She was about 15 lbs. lighter and almost skeletal-looking when I found her as a stray, so I just gave her as much food as she wanted until she stopped looking underfed. Again, she was an adult dog, so I'm not sure how this would work for a pup. Best of luck, though. She's beautiful!

Simba

from her pics she looks a little underweight....how much are you feeding her? i recently took my rottie to the vet due to upset stomach and she told me that large breed puppies should be eating three solid times a day at 1 to 1 1/2 cups of dry puppy Purina food. once they become adults they still need to eat twice a day at 2 cups each time. Take in mind that they have to get plenty of exercise so that they don't become over weight. It took my rottie about a two weeks for him to look healthy and lean. You should ask your vet how much they think she should be eating a day? good luck

Simba answered on 12/29/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer