My 3 year old pit bull does not bark at all. He has on an few occasion's, but its very rare. Any suggestions?

Previous owner seemed to mistreat him badly. I've only had him for 1 year but he is very friendly and happy in the environment I've provided for him.

Asked by Member 591780 on Feb 22nd 2008 Tagged barkingissues in Barking

Best Answer

Dogs are a lot like us. Some of us are the strong, silent type. Others really like the sound of their own voice.

Sounds like you got a mellow little guy, there. I agree with those who feel you may have lucked out in this area. :-)

It is my opinion that if he wasn't barking because of his past experiences, you'd have probably seen him start barking a bit more after a whole year being in your loving, happy home.

More than likely, he simply does not feel the need to bark.

Now, that might be annoying if he were to show a burglar in and give him the grand tour of the house while you're out. But, I have a feeling that your dog is the type who just barks when he really needs to.

I'd take it as a sign your dog is happy and well-adjusted.

Jack answered on Feb 22nd.

Answers

Marlowe, CGC

Is there any reason you want him to bark? I'd say, consider yourself lucky! Not all dogs bark a lot, and some hardly bark ever. It's just their individual personalities.

Marlowe, CGC answered on 2/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

PEBBLES

Im wondering if he was mistreated when he barked? Bet im also going with the other answer becareful what u wish for...My bassett howls all the time..

PEBBLES answered on 2/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI

I agree with the two above. I think that it's sad that he was mistreated and being he doesn't bark...that's probably when he was mistreated. I have two labs with MAJOR barking problems that I can't seem to break so, as stated above, be careful what you wish for.

Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI answered on 2/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lily

I agree with all posters who said consider yourself lucky. Mia (Sib/wolf) was not a barker, just a Sib talker and not aggressive. She could bark, just didn't. Miss Lily (Basenji, Heeler, Greyhound, etc) is totally barkless, but also talks sometimes. She manages to communicate very well without barking -expressive eyes and body language.
Sasha (Cattle Dog/Australian Shepherd) barked, sang and talked. No one could walk past our house or no squirrel could be anywhere around without Sasha peeling the wallpaper from the walls with that bark. With walkers, she stopped as soon as they were past, but with squirrels, I had to deal with it. Not her best moments.
A pit who barks easily gets a bad reputation, so I would just enjoy him the way he is. It sounds like you've done a great job of giving him the home he needs.

Lily answered on 2/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

Everyone above have good insite.As a Pit bull lover and owner of 3 i thought I would post to let you know what my boys are like.It really does not mean your dog was mistreated while he barked,although it is not impossible.
Haus is only a barker when he is working or when there is a problem at home,Strange person around and such.
Pedro is always on patrol but only barks at something suspicious,person walking by,mailman.cat or dog going by blah blah blah.
Clay only barks when someone is at the door.
And jesse,she chimes in with Clay at the door thing. So every dog is different,they could have been trained to do different things or just have choosen not to do it.I hoonestly have never had issues with barking so I never ask them not to when they did.i just praised them when they barked it at the appropriate times.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 2/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer