My 3 month old puppy has started showing signs aggression. Help!

We have had our small puppy for a week. She was a loving cuddly angel until 2 days ago when she bared teethed, growled and lunged at my girlfriend. She seems to do this when reprimanded for chewing. We use the word "bad" firmly and try to redirect her to her chew toys. She has also done this when being put in time out. What can we do?

Asked by Member 1081431 on Jan 2nd 2012 in Aggression

Answers

Roxie

snap her out of it as soon as she shows any sign of aggression {teeth showing, growling , etc} maybe get a can and put coins in it to also use as a guide to snap her out of it {got that from the dog whisperer}& then use the word "bad" . she has to know whos boss . :D
-hope this helps !

Roxie answered on 1/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Always use positive reinforcement. If your puppy is chewing on something she shouldn't, redirect her to a toy or rawhide and tell her she is a "good dog" when she lets go of the thing she shouldn't be chewing and takes the toy. Pointing a finger and saying "bad" means nothing to a dog. Dogs want to please you, so showing them what makes you happy is better than "telling" them when you are mad. They sense your aggression.

I know what you are going through. My 8 week old puppy has started to show aggression towards my husband and I. Our pup is lunging up at our face and trying to bite us. He has gotten my nose and my lips. We learned that we should grab him and put him on his back until he is completely calm. This seems to be helping. If this doesn't stop him after a couple of weeks then we have no choice but do the can thing with pennies. (You have to throw it down as fast and as close to your pet that as possible when the aggression starts. Don't let your puppy see you throw it.) This usually will intiminate the pup and make the can the bad guy. We have done this with our other dog, and it worked great. We don't want to do this punishment for this pup because our other dog is still scared after the first day that we threq the can 5 years ago. All he has to do is see the can and his behavior is instantly calm.