Guest

My 3 month old pit mix just ate a small portion of a green rat pellet.

My 3 month old pit mix just ate a small portion of a green rat pellet. They are originally the size of a rabbit pellet. I pulled chewed up pieces out of her mouth and then induced vomiting. Only two small pieces were in the vomit and it was normal color. Will she be fine? She is around 10 -14 pounds. Im not sure of the brand of rat poison and i think it had been in the closet for a year or more. It was more than likely d cob.


Asked by Member 1154011 on Feb 7th 2013 in Health & Wellness
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Guest

I would most definitely take him to vet to have him properly checked out to be on the safe side.


Member 1148112 answered on 2/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Kali

You need to get her to the vet NOW ASAP!! Any rat poison is bad, esp. since she's a pup and not very big. You should have an emergency vet in your area. This is very serious! Please don't wait. Go now! Good Luck with her.


Kali answered on 2/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer


Guest

If you are absolutely sure you found her immediately AND she only vomited two pieces you don't need to consider this an emergency. It will take much more than that to cause a problem!
That said, I would call your vet and just tell them what happened and what you did and listen to their advice. I suspect they will give you the signs of things to watch for.
Good luck!


Member 641257 answered on 2/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer


Banshee

She should be fine. Monitor for bleeding. It wouldn't hurt to feed her some dark green leafy vegetables, which are rich in vitamin K. Rat poison is used in human medicine- its called Warfarin/Coumadin. The antidote (which we tell patients not to change their intake of or the coumadin will not work) is vitamin K.


Banshee answered on 2/11/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer