Dolce

My 2nd dog is obese, and I'm afraid in her old age that this will affect her even more. How do I get her thinner?

She weighs about 13 pounds and I'm afraid of more weight-gain. I'm super-concerned. She lost some weight but gained it all back again.

Asked by Dolce on Feb 5th 2010 Tagged fa, obese, dogs in Obesity

Answers

Well you have to make sure that she is not getting any extra food. I don't know but is she also eating some of the other dogs food?. You also have to make sure that no one in your family is slipping her extra food. Cut back on the food, just a bit at a time, and then start some kind of program to give them a bit more exercise. You may only be able to go a block or two to start and just try to keep working up a bit more after the dog seems to be able to handle the distance. My family was able to take weight off of my old mixed breed dog but taking away some of the dogs hard food and giving them green beans. And he did lose weight.

Jet

I have a response to the previous poster. I know this person in real life and her obese dog is pretty old, so she can't really give the dog exercise because the dog can barely move up steps.

Jet answered on 2/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

K-10 Von Canein

A dog does not control food types or amounts. It's guardian does. Reduce food intake, just like a human would do to get rid of extra poundage. Maybe if a few pounds come off, Doice will be able to start a little exercise.

K-10 Von Canein answered on 2/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buckeye

Hi! The best thing you can do is to ask your veternarian about a type of food for dogs who are obese. Make sure she does not get any extra table scraps, and not too much food a day. If you can, get her out for a walk 1-2 times a day. Excersise is really good for dogs who are overweight. If she is not used to walking, make sure you take her short distances at first and then gradually go a longer distance each day. Do not force her to walk for very long and don't overdue it with excersise. If you notice a lot of sudden weight gain, she could have something wrong with her. Our dog Buckeye suddenly gained weight and we found out that he has hypothyroidism. He has to take a pill each day, but he is better already. Hope this information helped. Good luck!

Buckeye answered on 2/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Simple mathematics... if your dog eats more calories than she uses she is going to gain weight. In order to lose weight two things need to happen, both controlled by YOU. She needs to eat less food, and yes, treats count too as they have even more calories than regular dog food, and, most of all, she needs to increase her calorie burning by exercise. If she is really out of shape you start by brisk walks and increase the length and time spent walking her.
There is no magic food or diet products, just like there aren't any for humans. Less food and more exercise equals weight loss. Good luck!