my 2 yr old male boxer is too friendly with everyone. how can i teach him to guard the house?

Asked by Member 1134724 on Oct 8th 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

These are few tricks that I found on a website. Hope it helps.

Teach obedience -- often, positively and frequently. The most important step in training a guard dog is consistency. Ensure that you have enough time and patience to train your dog obedience properly and effectively [source: Young]. Your dog should respond to your every command -- both verbal and hand signals.
Familiarize your dog with the perimeters of the area. If you're training your dog to protect your house, walk your dog around the outer limits of your house to teach your dog the boundaries.
Teach educated barking. Your dog must learn who to bark at. Encourage your dog to bark strangers who approach your house. Pet, praise or reward the dog when it barks at a stranger. Train your dog to stop barking at your command. If it doesn't stop barking when you say so, practice by having people come to the door. Don't reward the dog until it stops barking upon command

Please do not follow internet stranger advice on training a guard dog. Many dogs will naturally alert to strangers and bark. If you are determined to have your dog be a protection dog it is essential to find a good trainer in your area. It can cost thousands of dollars to develop a good PPD. A poorly trained one can be a huge liability & could result in your dog biting and being put to sleep.

Ren II

You might be surprised, just because you're dog is friendly with everyone doesnt mean he won't protect you if you are in real danger. My dog is the same way. I always thought he would just lick an attacker to death. But when a man kicked my door in one night, Tank snarled, got in between the man and myself, and walked towards him until the guy left. Another time, while talking to a stranger who had just been petting my dog, the man lunged towards me very suddenly. Tank got protective immediately. You don't want a dog that has a problem with strangers, you don't need that to have a dog that will look out for you. If they love you and you take care of them right, they'll take care of you.

Ren II answered on 10/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tyler

Most dogs make good deterrents. Having a dog that will actually go further than barking and posturing can be a huge liability.

Boxers are people friendly dogs anyway in general. You can't make your dog into something he's not and in doing so you could create behavioural issues.

Tyler answered on 10/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer