My 2 year old female German Shepherd has excessively dry skin. She scratches a lot and seems miserable. Suggestions?

Asked by Member 1139923 on Nov 9th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

fish oil

Allergies to something in her diet is one possibility. If you have her on a grain heavy or corn/soy type food this could be your issue.
Another possibility is overbathing. People really bathe their gsds far more than is necessary. Mine get one river bath/year..at the end of beach season. My 3 year old has never had a bath in a tub. lol

Petri

You might try using PETfection Deodorizer/Allergy Spray. It is 100% Organic, Non Toxic, and is amazing at helping with itchy spots/dry skin/bumps/etc. I use it for everything! You can spray it all over her body and any area that is red or irritated from scratching or is dry and flaky. I find it to work really well! I hope this helps. They also make a shampoo that is great for dry skin and allergies too.

Petri answered on 11/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Moss *Forever in our hearts*

I think changing food is a good idea, try something grain free because most of the time dry skin is a food allergic reaction. Most often it is to corn but just to get a idea if it is food related i would try grain free food for sometime.

Moss *Forever in our hearts* answered on 11/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer