shade

My 1 year old Rottweiler and my 1year old pit mix act like I'm going to beat them. They are scared and I don't know why?

My Rottweiler is intact female and I got her when she was 6weeks old. I have never hit her but she cowers from me I dont understand. She had been like this since I got her but I thought it was just a phase. And my pit was a rescue that I got at8weeks and she is the same way but worse I can't even get her to come inside unless I kneel down and call her and when I stand up to go in she runs away. She was rescued from a hoarders. I just don't get it. I also have an 8week old pit and she is totally normal. Why are they so scared? I have never done any physical punishment.

Asked by shade on Oct 23rd 2011 in Fears & Phobias

Answers

you should see if you can take the rottweiler to the classes at some of the dog training facilities, google, scary cat classes... there are facilities that offer classes for dogs that are submissive and have social interaction issues.
Your dog needs to see the outside world and be active in it, you need to expose her to different situations. Some of the puppy fear stages occur around 6month, 10 months, and 15 months. If she is still not spayed then these stages in some dogs can be enhanced during ovulation cycles, heats that is.
So you might want to consider at this point doing a spay then attending classes to have an instructor help you with her issues. This dog might lack confidence, so the classes and the exercises can improve this. Some dogs are natural timid around ppl. I think a rottweiler and both pits need socialization just as any other breed. It would be a very unjust thing for you not to get them socialization now.they also can fed off that neg.energy. train seperately