My 18 month old whippet is recently diagnosed with heart murmurs.

The doctor discovered about the murmurs when he was on anesthesia while he was neutered. Can I still take him out jogging with me? On occasional sprint perhaps? I want what's best for him w/o jeopardizing his health either.

Asked by Member 735492 on Sep 13th 2008 Tagged whippet, health, dog in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

The heart is a muscle, and excercise makes it stronger. As long as you are mindful of your dog, excercising him is of great benefit.

Just pay very close attention to your dog while you are out jogging/running with him. If he's tired, don't push him. Pay attention to the color of his gums; if they're nice and pink, that's good! but if they look pale or purplish/bluish, that's not so good.

What grade murmur was your dog diagnosed with? (Murmurs are usually denoted by a number/grade of 1-6; 1 being very mild and 6 being very severe.) If your dog has a murmur >grade 3, be extra cautious. In this case I would recommend leashed walks/backyard playtimes only.

Consult your vet if you have any concerns/doubts. And make sure your dog has regular check-ups (twice yearly would be ideal in this situation) so that the condition of his heart can be monitored and assessed appropriately.

Best wishes,

Chompers is right about exercise still being a valid, good and healthful part of your dog's life.

Some dogs go many, many years without any changes in the significance of their dog's heart murmurs.

It is a fairly common condition and depending on the grade or severity of the murmur and lifestyle you provide your dog with, it is hardly a death sentence.

I would strongly recommend you go back to the vet (or call) who diagnosed the murmur and discuss the severity of the condition your individual dog has been diagnosed with. Ask the questions you've asked here, since you will get an answer that is more suitable to your individual litle guy.

Once you have the go-ahead, exercise him well but not to total exhaustion.

Also, make sure he's on a great healthy meal plan, with both kibble and canned food, at about a 60/40 percent ratio of kibble to wet meat.

Good brands to try are Eagle Pack, Innova or Wellness brand, all of which are healthy and promote good heart health. :-)