my 17 year old dog has not been able to walk or move under his own power for 6 months now. He can lift his head for onl

my 17 year old dog has not been able to walk or move under his own power for 6 months now. He can lift his head for only 2 seconds and refuses to lay on his right side completely! When being held while using the restroom or anything else he has an extreme and complete bodily and everything gravitational bend and all to the left. He has no sight and is very coherent and aware with great appetite and water needs. This was slow and gradual and would like to know possibly what maybe has happened besides degenerative myelopathy and vestibular disorder. And to euthanize is not really an option for my heart. Thanks.

Asked by Member 1144521 on Dec 10th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

What has your vet said about his condition? I'm sorry he's in a bad way. I really don't have any advice.

Ikan

We had an old collie mix that was very bad the last couple of years of his life. We just did everything we could to make him comfortable. In a case like this. You just have to follow your heart and let it tell you what to do. I wish you both the best

Ikan answered on 12/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Alyssum

I know it is hard to lose an aging pet, but please consider this from his perspective.

He's uncomfortable and weak. He's incredibly tired all the time. He can't even get up on his own anymore. Is it really fair to *him*? Please do not be afraid of euthanasia. It's an incredible gift that we have for our furry friends. Dying at home is rarely peaceful, and often terrifying for our pets.

If you want to find out what is wrong with your doggy though, bloodwork, x-rays, and ultrasound are the way to go.

Alyssum answered on 12/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer