My 17.5 year old miniature pincher has stopped walking?

he stopped walking one day so we took him to the vet. Nothing was done there other than her telling us about his quality of life. The next day he started walking again as if nothing. then he stopped walking again. This process has now stopped and he is not walking at all. He can use his back legs to push off but his front legs seem completely dead. What could be causing this? I know the end is very near but he is still eating, drinking, and doing his necesities. Some things i noticed and i think has something to do with this are a while back hes back leg would shake, his front left leg looked hyperextended and im almost certain he has arthritis. LASTLY, a month ago he was on the couch and hell and although i didnt see it i heard his head hit the floor. His eyes were moving from side to side and he wasnt able to walk. After an hour or so he did start walking again. I don't have money to get an MRI but I am looking for advice??? thanks in advance

Asked by Member 1137053 on Oct 22nd 2012 Tagged walking, paralyzed, notwalking, paralysis, fall, hithishead in Senior Pet

Answers

I would try another vet. He may be in pain. If so, you can keep him comfortable with meds. Good Luck!

Star

You may have to fashion a sling like device to help him get around and go outside. At this age, you will be lucky to find anything that will help them walk all the time again. I have been in your shoes, it is going to be a bit more work for you but since he is still eating. I would do all could do for them.

Star answered on 10/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer