my 14 year old Jack Russel terrier needs his teeth cleaned badly, is gas a safe sedative for this proceedure?

safe sedative for teeth cleaning 14 year old jack russell

Asked by Member 828155 on Apr 19th 2009 in Dental Care

Answers

In Loving Memory of BOOMER

Your vet most likely will do preanest. bloodwork to be sure that the organ values do not indicate problems that would complicate the procedure. They will also most likely keep him on IV fluids during the procedure to regulate his bloodpressure and keep him hydrated.

The anesthesia used is probably IsoFlurane, a good anestetic. Your dog's O2 levels and Heartrate will be monitored closely throughout the proceedure. Your dog will also be intibated with a tube to deliver the gas and oxygen and give access to an airway if an emergency were to occur.

This sedation technique will put him in a deeper sleep than a shot such as Dexdomitor and will allow him to wake up quicker. A deep sleep is needed because of the possibility of tooth extractions and also the intensity of scaling and polishing the teeth. Ask your vet about their procedures and precautions for putting an older dog under, how they will monitor him, the risks and what you can expect when you get him home. :-)

In Loving Memory of BOOMER answered on 4/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree with first poster. That old of a dog is kind of high risk, the vet should check to see if sedation is advisable.
And at this age I would be worried about complications if not done properly.

Well, at 14 I don't like to do any anesthesia unless it is well needed.

Sometimes they can sedate without intubation of the anesthesia gas.
Talk to your vet about your concerns.
~~~~~~~~~
Again, if it was me I would be very concerned - And yes, as the other doggie stated - you can do the pre-op blood work to see if the liver is functioning well enough to clean out the Anesthesia.

BEST wishes...
If you want more info see here:

This is in regards to an elderly cat needing teeth cleaning:
en.allexperts.com

I took my 12 year old yorkie in to get his teeth cleaned and ended up staying at the vets office for 8 hours because they gave him too much medicine and he started not to be able to breathe on his own, coughing horribly, and his tongue turning blue. They kept him on oxygen the whole time. He got better but afterwards he wasn't the same. He was clumsy acting, couldn't hear well, wasn't eatting too much, and so on. The vet said he suffered from some slight brain damage. I would highly advise not doing it. Best of wishes.