My 12 week old puppy has a huge problem anytime I leaveher home alone. What should I do?

I kennel my puppy anytime I leave the house but everytime I return she is so worked up from crying that she can barely breath. How can I fix her separation anxiety?

Asked by Member 1155292 on Feb 14th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Get her a friend. Worked with my dog being depressed

Mika

Getting a second dog I do not think is the answer as the other poster said. A lot of people say oh my dog gets destructive and bored or lonely when I am gone, so what's the answer? Get another dog......nope, I dont agree with that. Then you just have 2 dogs that could very well feed this energy off eachother, your dog will whine while your gone which could lead the other dog to do same, then you just have 2 whining and crying babies that you need to figure out a solution for. Anyways, have you properly crate trained? (Or kennel trained) comfy bed? Toys? Perhaps a kong with treats and or peanut butter, you can even freeze the peanut butter in it, they love that. Do you make the kennel a positive place for her? Try to retrain her in the kennel if you havn't already, throw some treats in, praise her when she goes in, let her out right away, go through this training often and help her know it is a safe place for her, not a punishment . Good Luck

Mika answered on 2/15/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer