Dexter

My 12 week old Boston terrier bites non stop! wut I am goin to do?????

Im a first time dog owner...and My boston terrier bites non stop...I have ALOT of chew toys for him...and yet he viciously goes after my hands, legs pants etc!!! I have tried to punish him for it by putting him in a room alone for about 5 mins after I tell him "NO BITE"! But yet it hasnt seemed to wrk. I love him to death...but he's becoming really vicious...and dont want to have to muzzle him when he's older. I know puppies chew on things but this just seems out of hand....does anyone have any suggestions...is this a boston terrier thing?? or does my dog just have aggression issues??? Please Help!!!

Asked by Dexter on Dec 31st 2007 in Aggression

Answers

He's not being mean, he's playing. But you should still discourage it.
Try this instead of what you are doing:
When he bites yelp like it hurts. If he thinks it hurts you, he may stop.
Or, you can be playing with him. When he starts "attcking" your legs, just STOP the game immdediately. Completely ignore him for a while. If he continues, say "ACK!" or "NO!" and ignore him. Then play later.

Layla

I agree with the previous post, he's not being mean but is doing the only type of play he knows. When puppies play together they get rough and when one yelps the other knows to stop. As the other post mentioned, try giving a good high pitched yelp when his play gets out of hand and then stop playing with him until he calms down and stops biting.

Be sure you are not enticing him to go after your hands or pant legs by moving your hands around his face while playing or running from him. He sees that as play and will keep up the biting since it's fun and gets a fun reaction out of you.

Layla answered on 12/31/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

sir spike

I THINK THAT HIS TEETH ARE hurting put a old washcloth in the freezer and let him chew on it

That will help I believe

sir spike answered on 12/31/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

ok here are some ideas&a reason he may be doing this.He is not being aggressive,12 week old pups don't understand aggressive behavior yet.I agree with the previous posts about stopping the play&the ignoring part.No tug of war games,no rough play&no teasing should be done with him.Giving hime ANY type of attention is going to re-enforce this behavior.Dogs seek out attention&it doesn't matter if it is negative or positive attention as long as they get it they are happy with the response from you.They only thing you should say or do is "yipe"then get up&turn your back on him and/or walk away.If he is chasing your legs&biting your pants stand still,have a treat in your hand&teach him how to sit at this time.Don't play a game of allowing him to chase you or keep pushing him away because to him it all looks like a game to a pup.When he sits reward him with the treat,then start walking again if he chases stop teach him to sit&continue the process.I may need to write another paragraph.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 1/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

my staffie was a nitemare for biting when he was a puppy if you tried to stroke him he was a total shark!! i have learnt since it is because i got him too young his mum would have stopped him being so mouthy, he is fine now and a lovely wonderful dog. I would not leave any chews lying around constantly as only a leader of pack has constant access to these things or put them in his bed so he knows to behave in living room. Say no like other answer or ~"ow" and move away from him. if he keeps pestering you maybe say no with firm voice and make him sit. one thing i do remember Cesar sayin on dog whistper is that shutitng dog in another room doesnt work coz it aint dealing with the problem, i would ask a professional and take him to dog classes if you are not already to get rid of some of his enery and learn his commands- i took mine at 9 weeks