Ella

My 11-week-old APT mix has started pulling on her leash...

Up until she started gaining confidence, she was wonderful. Unfortunately, she has started pulling, and a choke collar won't do the trick, as she takes the leash in her mouth and pulls with that, as if she was playing tug-of-war (which we do play frequently). I was wondering if there was any kind of restraint I can use to keep her from getting a hold of the leash? I know a head halter harness might work, but I wasn't sure if she would be able to turn around and get the leash in her mouth, and I'm not confident that a regular harness would provide enough restraint for me to control her. I'm not a very big person, and I need to make sure she is properly leash trained and would like to avoid using any harsh measures. Any advice on restraints or other techniques would be fantastic and we both thank you in advance, as there is no place for her to exercise and play outside off-leash.

Asked by Ella on Sep 13th 2012 in Leash Walking

Answers

Louie

I also have an 11 week old pit, same colors too!
At 11 weeks old theyre only about 3 weeks older then what they are when theyre allowed to leave their mom.. Soo you cant expect him to learn that fast.. I also have a 7 month old pit & 7 month old boxer & i got them both halties but not until they were about 6 months old. If your puppy is grabbing the leash with his mouth that just means hes not fully use to being on it.. You cant get any 'special' collar or anything because that wont help you at all.. You just need to work wih him everyday on gettig use to being on the leash, if he grabs te leash just het it out ofhis mouth, let him know he shouldnt do that, also with him being that young he shouldnt even be going on long walks or anything, few minute long walks. When he learns to walk on his leash work with him on pulling.. Every time he pulls you stop, when he lets the leash loose then continue.

Louie answered on 9/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

MACH4 PACH2 Aslan

You would benefit greatly from taking a basic obedience class. Look for a "puppy" obedience class and look for a positive reinforcement trainer. A class would give you benefits you can't get by trying to find information on line. Here is a link to an article about how to find a good obedience trainer. Have fun!

agilitymach.hubpages.com

MACH4 PACH2 Aslan answered on 9/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer