my 11 month old shihtzu has a runny nose its clear discharge he has some snezzing and he acts like he has a sore throat

my shih-tzu has a runy nose the discharge is clear some snezzing ,trouble breathing at times and he is acting like his throat is sore cant afford to take him to the vet right now i am on a fixed income what can i do for him please help also he is still eating and playing and drinking his water thank you kim

Asked by Member 794938 on Jan 20th 2009 Tagged ithinkmydogissickneedhelponwhattodoforhim in Illness & Disease

Answers

I wish you the best of luck, but he needs a vet. The vet is the only one who can help him.
Ask for donations (if you do it on here, get HQ's permission first), go to a cheaper vet, whatever. Just get him to a vet for your dog's sake.
What if something serious happened? Vets are essential.
I hate to say this, but if one cannot afford a vet, they must either make sure that they can get the money when the times comes (donations) or give the dog to someone who can afford a vet.

I know how it is to be on a fixed income. My family is below the poverty level. But we can still afford a vet. If the time ever came where we could absolutely not afford a vet, I'd rehome my dogs to someone that I trust to take good care of them.
It wouldn't be easy, but I'd do it anyway. Whatever is best for my pets.

Oliver

He needs to go to the vet right away. If you put it off it may turn into something much more serious (which will cost much more and may even be fatal). Breathing difficulties always, always, always require immediate attention. See if the vet will allow you to pay in installments.

I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but if you can't afford to give your dog the minimum health care, perhaps you are not the best owner for this dog.

Oliver answered on 1/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

It sounds like an upper respitory infection which needs some antibiotics. Contact your ASCPA or Humane Society and see if there is a lower cost vet that's available or if there is a program for pet owners on fixed incomes. You never know until you ask.

I hope your baby is feeling better very soon.

Miss Buddie answered on 1/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Please take him to the vet asap. He probably just needs some antibiotics which shouldn't cost much. If you leave it he may get much sicker. Ask your vet for time to pay. If you can provide even a little money up front most vets will let you pay over time. Then do your research and see if there are any low cost or free vet services in your area so you will be ready for the next time. Good Luck!!

My dog had something quite similar a few months ago and my vet prescribed some antibiotics. The vet couldn't get a clear diagnosis, but it was most likey an upper respretory infection and the antibiotics were exactly what my boy needed. You'll definately need to see a vet to get a diagnosis and some meds. I'm sure there is a low cost clinic some where in your vicinity that would (hopefully)allow you to get on a payment schedule or hopefully they can work with you in some way, but your dog needs to be evaluated for sure.