My 10 yr old Bichon has started peeing in the house when it's rainy out. He knows better he doesn't want to get cold.

He also has long had a habit of going when visiting friends houses if they have pets.
The recent problem is especially bad because it's not that cold he just doesn't like rain. I live Portland, OR so this is bad.

Asked by Member 934500 on Dec 31st 2009 Tagged housebreaking, pee, bichon, older in Behavior & Training

Answers

First of all, get a urine sample checked to make sure he doesn't have a UTI. If not, you could perhaps try a pee belt or a male dog belt. It is a wrap that is placed around the belly and over the penis. You put a sanitary napkin in it to collect urine, if he goes. Most of my dogs will not go inside if they have a pee belt on. I make mine out of mens socks with velcro for fastening, but you should be able to buy one at any pet store. You can see my bright red one in some of my photos on my page.

Baxter

place a coat on him and maybe some booties and carry him out to pee and poo. I think the cold weather needs some extra TLC now and then.

Baxter answered on 1/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree that you should have him checked for a UTI, since this is a major cause of otherwise house-trainined dogs (especially older dogs like yours) having accidents in the house suddenly.

I'd also agree that keeping him warm will help alleviate his discomfort outside during winter.

But I'd also add that at his age, arthritis might be a factor and this can cause great discomfort and pain when it's cold out. So ask your vet about that too when you have him checked for a UTI. There are meds and lifestyle changes (minor like making sure he has a certain type of bed and is warm enough in general) that can greatly increase the comfort of a dog with arthritis.

The peeing at other doggie's houses is more than likely marking behavior and might not be related at all to this.

Good luck with him.