Daisy - In memory - 11/03/2011

Move a pup from Alaska to Maine?

How do we get a great dane pup (7 months old) from Alaska to Maine?

This pup belongs to my daughter and son-in-law. He is in the Army and is moving to GA for training. My daughter is moving back home to MAINE.
I have no idea how to get a giant breed pup from Alaska to Maine. He already weighs about 50lbs and is growing rapidly.

I'm thinking that he would have to fly soon because:
1. he is rapidly getting bigger.
AND
2. in Dec (when they are moving) it will be extremely cold for a dog in a cargo area.

Any ideas on how to safely get this pup from Alaska to Maine?

Asked by Daisy - In memory - 11/03/2011 on Aug 18th 2010 Tagged airtravel, alaska, maine in Other Travel & Recreation

Answers

If you want the dog there safe and healthy, and time is not too much an issue.

Do it soon.
Someone should drive the dog to Maine, even if that means a one-way flight for someone.

Most of the time flying a dog is safe, but mistakes happen, it's a long flight, and he is just a puppy. Dogs get lost, sick or the cargo area isn't pressurized properly (yikes!)

He will not be allowed to fly if it's above 75 degrees or when it gets below 45 degrees (those are the expected ground temps during the flight interval.

Contact the airlines of choice to see if flying him is an option and what can be done if you want to fly him.

Winnie Mae

I wouldn't fly him, unless it's with one of the airlines specifically for pets (www.petairways.com

Winnie has always loved road trips, but they aren't for every dog. If you do choose road trip, make sure to reserve dog friendly hotels on the way down.

I don't suggest flying cargo. Just last week seven pups died during a flight in the cargo hold.

Winnie Mae answered on 8/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Flying is one option, but you could post this in the dogster railroad forum & see if you can arrange a route by land. It will take longer, but no flying.

Hector

I've known 2 people who have flown their dogs, and both were horror stories. Apparently it is very hot and not sufficient air in the cargo area where they have to fly. Even in cold climates.

Both owners cried over how ill their dogs were when they arrived at their destinations. One was severely traumatized and the last I heard, was never the same. I think it must be horribly loud, dark, hot and simply quite frightening for an animal to endure such a thing all alone.

If someone can make the drive, it would be much better. You could always rent an suv that is dog friendly. You could drive one way and fly back, or drive both ways, depending on your financial and time situation.

If I was in that situation, that is what I would do.

Good luck!!!

Hector answered on 8/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Pasha

The following are purely animal airlines that can get your Dane to Maine or at least close by. you will need to provide a crate, newspaper or/ bed, food and bowls and its best to put a sweater of yours so he feels that your there. You will also need to get him all the shots and up to date, DHPP AND RABIES ARE THE LAW! How ever Alaska and Hawaii have complex rules and you might have to quarantine which might take 1-6 months! Oh and you will need to have someone in Maine who will be able to take the dog because they arent flights going out everyday and probably best to send him out at least a month before you move.

They are too many links to post so all you do is type in "animal airlines" on google and you will surely find an airline that does that route!! good luck and I know how stressful and worrying have your pet traveling solo can be.

Pasha answered on 8/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer