Taz

Midwest or Bargain Hound Wire Crates

I was hoping someone would be able to clarify the difference between the two brands. I've been looking at the Giant sized crates (37"W x 54"D x 45"H).
Midwest sells for about $70 more.

Is one better than the other?

Thanks!

Asked by Taz on Sep 2nd 2009 Tagged crates, giant in Carriers, Crates & Kennels

Answers

I don't like the latches on Midwest and the Bargain Hound has the same kind. I've had 2 dogs that could open them from the inside, even with 2 latches. And the plastic pans can be pushed out even though there is a metal tab to keep it in place.
I prefer General Cage, has a metal pan which will outlast the plastic one by years. The latch is a spring loaded single bar with two latches, dog stays put!
It costs a bit more, shop around. By the time you figure shipping, cost of separate pan, replacing pan two or three times, you'll break even easy!

I prefer plastic crates. I have never known a dog to unlatch them. I think they are more den like than the metal ones.

For travel, we nest the halves and put everything else in them.

I am not sure how the prices run.

I have the Midwest one. My personal opinion is that you will not need a crate this big. Bam-Bam is an English Mastiff and he's 180 + lbs and still growing at this point and the crate is still a bit large for him (and he's already much bigger than your dog will ever be).
I would go with a 48" or smaller crate, and get one that is collapsable. The drop pin crates (which are what these two giant sized ones are) are a pain in the arse to assemble, and the crate itself is not travel friendly at all. Also with the giant-sized one, 90% of the time you have to buy the stupid crate pan separately!
I'd get something like the 42 or 48 on this one!
homeandkennel.petedge.com

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 9/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer