Sunny

Micro chipping

Hi! At our local animal shelter they micro ship for $12.50... I thought their was some kind of regristration fee or something. Could anyone tell me what that is or how much it would cost?

Asked by Sunny on Mar 16th 2010 in Local Spots & Services

Answers

Sunny *adopted finally!!!!*

Well I know it mostly depends on what brand of microchip the shelter is using. I think most shelters take into account the registration fee so that's included in the cost but you'll have to check with your shelter about that.

I know some microchip companies give you a free membership for the first month, that's for if your pet where to ever get lost than they'd send out notices to all local veterinarians and animal shelters. If you don't get the membership the microchip will still work just if you tag your pet as lost in the system they won't send out notifications to everyone.

Sunny *adopted finally!!!!* answered on 3/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The BIGGEST problem we have with stray dogs here is that they ARE chipped, but the owner didn't register the chip!!! As a result, we have absolutely no way of knowing who the dog belongs to. As the previous poster stated, it depends on the chip company, but registrations are a cheap price to pay to get your dog back. I paid a $40 lifetime registration with Avid about 12 years ago.... now all my pets are registered free, I just need to send them the numbers and the pet description to keep it updated. Cheap enough for the security provided!!!!

www.avidID.com
they can give you info on their chips and services.
the have tags and free chips for service dogs now.
The process fee is 6.00 for a new chip and 19.95 for a new parent like you sell or adopt your dog.
depends on the shelter and what they charge to do the microchip procedure. sounds reasonable. :)