Male vs Female Maltese is the breed

I'm thinking of getting a maltese puppy and would like your input as the sex of the dog. Male vs Female.
Sorry for not being more specific earlier.

Asked by Member 501109 on Feb 17th 2008 in Breeds G-M

Best Answer

Blue

I think the gender is more your preference then a breed type. My main problem with male would be that some mark. This can be very nasty. Males are generally larger then their female type. I have only ever had one male dog and he was wonderful, but did mark upon occasion. He also leaked when he got pretty old. I would not have traded him even though I had to do some clean up. I didn't raise him but he and I were soul mates, just like any great human/pet bond should be.
I loved him every bit as much as my female dogs.

So my best advice is to go find a litter of Maltese and sit down and find one you fall in love with and who seems to fall in love with you. Better yet go to a shelter and search for the dog that response to you. Something will grab you and then gender won't matter. The connection will. Good luck looking for a forever friend.
Blue's Mom

Blue answered on Feb 17th.

Answers

Jesse

I personally think either one in this breed is just as sweet as the other.Both require the same amount of grooming and teeth care. It is cheeper to neuter a male then spay a female. It may be a bit harder to potty train a boy then a girl.Only because the boys stand to pee and are sometimes hard to catch unless you are very intune with them.
Otherwise they are both similar in personality as such. Have fun searching! Let us know how you make out.

Jesse answered on 2/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

In response to the last answer, although almost all male dogs DO mark - which many people find gross - marking should NOT be discouraged unless it is in the house! Marking is a natural instinct of a male dog. Neutering at 6 months definitely reduces marking, but it doesn't always eliminate it althogether. (Call me nuts, but I think that it's cute sometimes.)