Rocky

Male GSD lunging thru doors, growls occasionally, barks a lot

I don't know what to do do modify this behavior. Overall he is EXTREMELY hyper and *I believe* over anxious. He was neutered about a month ago. (he's already 3) It's bringing chaos to the home. In desperation last night I put him in thundershirt because he had a bad day at the vet jumping, growling, barking. My father had to kennel him yesterday because of some work being done in our house. He's destroyed cages, doors, windows, any kind of barrier that keeps him separate from us. I have seen to not let him out until he calms down, but the problem is that he just doesn't calm down, he keeps going. The worst is when my mother tries to do yardwork in the front yard (she feeds him) He has torn a hole in the wall next to the door.a real hole. He's gone thru screen doors to get to her, he's broken the metal out of the bottom of our storm door to get thru. I am at my wits end. The thundershirt did appear to calm him SOME, not enough not to lunge the door - vet wants trazodone

Asked by Rocky on Oct 11th 2013 Tagged lunging, growling, barking in Behavior & Training

Answers

Hire a trainer to help you with a large dog that has severe separation anxiety. He is either a rescue or a pet with not enough to do that has developed overprotective behaviors. There are over the counter (OTC) calming chews and sprays that might help as well, plus drops that you can put in his water from HomeoPet until you can work this out. I would consider what your vet is saying about the medicine in the meantime... if he did not come from a breeder he could be inbred, which brings behavioral and physical limitations to the surface. Hire professional help to keep your home and dog safe! ^_^

Shasta

Yes, this is a sign of anxiety. What this dog needs is #1. A stable pack-leader (be calm and assertive... You're the boss of him, but you want to help him). #2. Exhaustion.

Pack-leading takes experience, time, practice, and research. Little ways you can show him you're in charge though... Teach him "wait" and make him wait for his food, wait to go outside, or even wait to come out of his crate. It shows him he doesn't do something until you say so.

For the exhaustion - he needs a job. GSDs were bred for working daily. He needs 1-2hrs of physical exercise daily. He also needs mental exercise. This can be done with food-puzzles (even just treats in a Kong) and other brain-teasers. Get him started with agility, flyball, scent-training, and fun new tricks.

If you still don't feel in control of him, have him assessed by a trainer. That can help out further by pinpointing the exact problem with you.
Remember, there's no such thing as a bad dog, just an uneducated owner.

Best wishes!

Shasta answered on 10/12/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer