Lump on friend's dog's lip - should they be concerned?

Hi all,

I have a friend that's concerned about a lump on their Dog's lip.
He's 3 years, 4 months old, his Mom was a Artic Wolf & Lab mix and Dad was a Shihtzu & Terrier mix.

They took him to the Vets the other day (paid $200 for the privilege!) and all they really got told was that it *might* be cancer or histiocytoma.
They can surgically remove it and send it away for analysis to determine if it's cancerous etc. which would cost another $800!

Having looked in to this a bit, from what I've seen, it is not like any cancer/histiocytoma pictures I have found anywhere else.

Here's a picture of what it looks like:
f.cl.ly

The lump has not grown any bigger, is hard, smooth and has not bled.

I was wondering if anyone had ever seen anything like this before, or had an idea if it was likely to be cancer/histiocytoma?

Any help is very much appreciated (especially as it could potentially save my friend $800!).

Thank you very much!

Asked by Member 1145443 on Dec 16th 2012 Tagged lipbump, lipgrowth, lip, cancer, histiocytoma in Health & Wellness

Answers

Here's the thing: if that lump were on your friend's lip, would he have it biopsied? Would you if it were on yours? If the answer is yes, and I really hope it is, he needs to have it checked. Because I would have it done if that were on my face. If your friend is skeptical, he or she should seek a second opinion from another vet.

As pet owners, it's our job to advocate for our animals. That's sometimes expensive, but that's the nature of medical care, and many vets offer payment options (like Care Credit) to help make things more affordable.

Best of luck!

Well, ask your friend to see another vet. We, here are not professionals and therefore the best can be done by a vet itself.