Lucky

looking at adopting a coonhound wondering if anyone had advice on the breed

not sure exactly what type but just looking for some general info on owning the breed. Things that are great about them and some things that are not so great/should be aware of before owning.

Asked by Lucky on Mar 22nd 2011 Tagged adopt, coonhound, traits, behavior in Breeds

Answers

My neighbors had several but they hunted and competed with them. They are very sweet pets I think. They love to hunt though, I think taking them for walks and all the general outdoors things they like is needed though.
My mom had beagles and they are similar about having to use the nose to find things.
wikipedia has some neat things about breeds, google them.
My friend he was a volunteer drug search person he had bloodhounds they trained to do police search work, he said as a hound they need a job and they drool alot too.

Halo

Good: They are good family pets, shed little and love water so baths are usually easy.

Bad: They have a strong prey drive, need to run a LOT, bay more than bark and are loud, they are no opposed to getting filthy so may need more frequent baths. They will love treeing the cat, a child, anything that will run, they will chase and bay after.

FYI: Energetic so need plenty of exercise, intelligent but can be a bit stubborn so need patient , repetitive training (except to hunt that's natural to them) Learn good recall but, will not recall if on the hunt, you have to follow their baying to where they tree their prey. No good for small yards or apartments.

Halo answered on 3/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maribel

I have a beagle who is the most lovable, friendly animal. I love her to death, but...she was a puppy nightmare! If you can handle chewing, months of housebreaking and overall disobedience you will be rewarded with lots of love in the end! Does need alot of exercise but can live in an apartment, just needs long walks regularly!

Maribel answered on 3/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dogster Bella & Daisy has coon hounds. You could pmail her & ask if she has advice for you. The 2 dogs seem to be quite different from each other.

Blue

This dog of mine is a Coonhound/Beagle... But I have had a purebreed Coonhound in the past...Heres all the info I can tell you on these breeds...

CoonHound: Royal, loving, trainable, good for squirel hunting or any other type of hunting, very active, They are howlers!, Very devoted to its family, very intelligent dog, does well living indoors and plays a fine guardian to his family and home, usually best with older children, but can also do well with younger ones,Some can be a bit dog-aggressive if the owner is not a strong leader relaying the message to the dog that is unexceptable behavior, have a strong instinct to tree animals(Hunting), extremely good eyesight, which allows them to work well at night, may drool or slobber(BADLY!, trust me), curious and have a tendency to follow their own noses, If they pick up a scent they may wander off and not even hear you calling them back, or not care to listen, as they will be too busy trying to find the critter at the other end(Thats how we lost ours)(Take care when letting them off leash that you are in a safe area)
This is all the info I know....Some of the info I got from a website called.... dogbreedinfo.com ..

If your getting a CoonHound please be sure to take care of this dog....Feel free to pawmail me..I would be glad if you did!

Glad I helped!

-Krypto

Blue answered on 3/24/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer