Lipoma Removal Surgery, Was it the right thing to do?

Today, my 9 year old female Shih-Tzu went in for surgery to remove 3 masses around her nipples. While these were being removed, she was also spayed. She hadn't been spayed because she isn't around other dogs, and although there are pros and cons to spaying your dog, we just didn't feel it was necessary. I read these are just lipomas and we shouldn't be worried about them, and that they are common in middle aged dogs, especially non-spayed females. Coco is always energetic, moreso than some puppies, and has been in a great mood. They are sending the lumps in for a biopsy but I don't think I should be worried.

My real question, is was this the right thing to do? I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to get them removed unless they are harmful to your dog, especially if they're on their underside (in this case, her belly). She is doing fine now in Post-Ops staying overnight for pain meds and her IV.

But should we be worried about complications or anything? Please help.

Asked by Member 1125762 on Aug 15th 2012 Tagged lipomas, shihtzu, dog, lumps, surgery in Other Health & Wellness