Dewey

Lets be honest, how many treats do you give your dog each day?

Lets be honest, how many treats do you give your dog each day? The treats I have are Natural Balance Fish & Potato and he loves them... But how many is too many a day? How many do you give your small dog each day??? Any other advice on how to reward your dog w/o always giving a treat??

Thanks!!

Asked by Dewey on Feb 9th 2008 in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

I (C.J. & Chompers' Mom) give them treats whenever they are warranted! However, if I know they have received numerous treats in a given day, I do decrease the amount I feed them.

I treat regularly about 4 times a day, but certain days we go through training, or something "happens" in the course of a given day (meeting new people, new dogs, etc.) and the treating is increased. On those particular days, I do cut back on the amount they get at their regular feedings.

On training days, we usually "treat" with much smaller portions (break up the usual treat into smaller bits) because they tend to be given much more often (to reward the behavior). However, C.J. is very toy-oriented and Chompers is very attention-oriented, so we are able to affirm behaviors with those as well.

The only time that there are "too many" treats in a given day is when they make up the majority of the pet's diet. If you feel this may be the case, start treating with actual "food" and omit unhealthy treats.

answered on Feb 9th.

Answers

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

BUSTED!!!!Good question. I give my boys a treat about 4 maybe 5 timea day. Jesse gets about 2 in total.She is way smaller then the boys. Their treats are only about an inch long(old mother hubbard treats-their puppy biscuits)the same company that makes Wellness.Oh the bird he gets about 3 treats a day.When the boys get theirs the bird starts barking like a dog so he has to have one as well! LOL

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 2/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

We don't have a regular treat schedule here.

I use treats mainly for training. In training, I use them as lures to work on brand new behaviors, and I use them as rewards when I want to solidify behaviors she knows but isn't always fast on.

Besides that, she gets treats in her Kong if we're away for a large part of the day, and she sometimes gets special rewards when she's really deserved them - like a piece of my burger or a bit of vanilla ice cream.

For training, we usually use freeze-dried liver, Authority liver treats, or teeny tiny minuscule pieces of cheese.

If you use a lot of treats throughout the day, especially if they're pretty large, then you should subtract some of the regular kibble so Dewey won't get fat.

There are plenty of ways to reward other than treats: praise, petting, tossing a ball, offering a tug toy, and life rewards. Life rewards being things like getting the "go ahead" after being told to sit before eating, or before going out the door.

Cocoa Bean

I dont give my Chihuahuas any flour based treat. I chose something natural like dried fish. I get it from Walmart and are like little guppy fish but dried. I can feed them about 10 a day and I feel OK because it is a high calcium and protein treat.Chose a treat that satisfies and nourishes and remember its a reward and not a meal. I wouldnt feed more than 2 cookies per day speaking of regular dog biscuits.

Cocoa Bean answered on 2/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Scout

Let's see. A smoked pig skin (we smoke ourselves) when we leave for work. A chicken jerky treat when we come home and an after dinner marrow bone or pizzle. Now, that sounds like a lot, but I've got a 90+ lb GSD and a 50+ lb mutt. During the week, it's at least 30 minutes of fetch and an hour long walk. On the weekends, double that. They have free run of the house and about an acre yard during the day. So, they aren't fat and they get tons of exercise. For training treats - small pieces of dried liver - they LOVE that!. Or if I'm trying to get them away from doing something for the food - lots of praise. If we're working on 'stay' and I'm tossing their toy - if they stay then they go get to chase their toy when I tell them 'ok'. Praise works real well with the GSD, tummy rubs or throwing her frisbee works great with the mutt. You know what your dog responds to well besides food - so try that as the reward. It's amazing how well praise or scratches work.

Scout answered on 2/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Tiffy♥

I am totally guilty of this. I feed Tiffy treats about 4-5 times a day. I give her treats in the morning when I leave for work, when I get home from work, when she gets in her kennel, and any other time when she is being good, which is always. It all depends on the type of treat you give and your dogs size. You pretty much have to use your own judgement, what you think is best for your dog. You give rewards all the time with out knowing it. Being in your presence is a reward for a dog, a pat on the head, a belly rub, playing games, are all examples of rewards.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 2/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer