♥ Chi-Chi ♥

Leaving new pup alone from 8-4?

I am thinking of getting a new chihuahua puppy. I live in a temporary apartment, & I have school from 8:00am - 4:00pm. So a new puppy would be left during that time then when I get home I will give all my attention to her. I am just curious, how can I work this out in the best way? I've had plenty of dogs, but they were kept in the backyard all day until I got home, plus they all had each other. How to I manage school times, and a new puppy?

Asked by ♥ Chi-Chi ♥ on Oct 19th 2012 Tagged newpuppy, school in Health & Safety

Answers

The Lovely Miss Silvia(AKC)

Puppies can make it for about 11 hours in a crate before they'll HAVE to pee, But you'll need to crate train them first. And then just play with him/her a lot after you get home! :)
Hope this helped!

The Lovely Miss Silvia(AKC) answered on 10/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I do not know ANY breed of puppy who can sit in a crate for 11hours without a break.
Quincy is already three months old... he has to urinate at least every two hours at this age and he has four bowel movements throughout the day.
The need to do their business is the least of the problems with keeping a puppy crated that long. Puppies need exercise and stimulation to develop properly. Without that their muscles and worse yet, their brains will be mush.
I would suggest either waiting until school is finished OR, finding a great daycare where this puppy can spend its time while you are in school.

Callie (Calliope)

I too have never heard of a puppy of being able to hold it for 11 hours. Everything I've read says a puppy can hold it an hour for every month old they are. Going to school for 8 hours and then factoring in schoolwork as well it might not be the right time for a puppy. They are just so much work. Worth it but still a lot of work. Maybe an adult rescue dog or a cat would be better for your current lifestyle.

Callie (Calliope) answered on 10/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Smokey

There is absolutely no way a puppy can hold it for 11 hours. They can hold it for about as many hours as they are months old, or +1. So a 3 month old puppy can hold it about 3-4 hours. That's also assuming that you take them out right before you leave, and that they won't have access to water while you're gone. It's not AT ALL safe to leave a puppy for 8 hours without access to water. Puppies also hate being alone. I don't think it's the best time to get a puppy. Maybe wait until summer break.

Smokey answered on 10/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Baja

So for all the people who do not think a puppy can hold its bladder for 11 hours. Meet Merlin. He has been holding his bladder for 9+ hours since he was 8 weeks old. He has held it for 11+ hours and is only 13 weeks old. He is a heavy sleeper at night and just doesn't feel the need to go until I haul him out of his crate and carry him to go to the bathroom. With that being said it is fairly difficult to have a puppy and go to school at the same time. I have found ways to make it work and before I knew he could hold his bladder for hours at a time I made sure that my roommates were willing to help me out and take him out every couple hours if need be. It takes a lot of work and you have to make sure that you have time to train the puppy on top of classes.

Baja answered on 10/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Missy

Personally, i don't think a puppy is a good idea in your current circumstances. Have you thought about adding an older dog? There are plenty of Chihuahuas in rescue, i'm sure. The pros to getting an older dog rather than a puppy are that the older dog will be able to hold it's bladder for the length of time you are away! It should be calmer, more trustworthy to be left alone and have some basic obedience. You might have to look around for a rescue that will rehome to you with your schooling and the hours you are away, but i think it's a better option for you. A puppy, IME, needs pretty much constant supervision and interaction and the amount of training, socializing and work that goes into that can be exhausting. When you've had a long day at school, how are you going to feel about all the time you now have to spend with the pup? Like a real baby, you can't just have a night off with a pup. It's constant work those first few months..sometimes even for a year or more.

Missy answered on 10/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer