Deegan

Leaving nervous dog at home by himself for the weekend?

I asked the question about leaving my nervous dog by himself and got the answer to crate him so he's not destroying anything. I am getting ready to leave for a few days and I have a doggie door, but my dog likes to take items outside to chew on them. I don't really want to lock him outside while I am gone because it is 110 degrees where I live. I blockade my house from my kitchen as an experiment to see what would happen. He took items off my table and out of my garbage can to chew on outside. He also unzipped his bed and tore apart the orthopedic foam into shreds across my kitchen floor. I tried pushing his crate up to the doggie door itself, but he some how shoved it away from the door and took a pair of my Kinos (a pair of flip-flops from Key West) outside along with my daughter's unicorn and baby's Barbie doll. He has tons of toys to play with including a Kong ball and a stuffed animal. He goes for walks and plays at the dog park. I don't know what to do.

Asked by Deegan on Jun 16th 2012 Tagged leavingyearolddoghomealoneforaweekend in Behavior & Training

Answers

Sounds like he might be better off in a boarding kennel where he can be getting more exercise and being watched to prevent the potential for injury and/or blockage from foreign body ingestion.

Cottonball

Crate a dog for an entire weekend? That would be cruel. I have a woman that I hire to check on mine when I'm gone for even a day and they have a doggie door. Personally I'd never leave a dog alone for an entire weekend whether they destroy items or not but if you have to, just remove everything you can and try some of the sprays that you get to keep them off of furniture.

Cottonball answered on 6/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chase

Leaving any dog by themselves for an entire weekend is a bad idea, leaving your nervous and destructive dog at home by himself is a recipe for disaster.
Make arrangements for someone to come stay at your home, or have him visit with friends or family. Take him to a boarding kennel, or a 'doggy daycare' type place that will keep him overnight. Call your local pet stores or veterinarians for recommendations if you don't know of any reputable places.
How often and for how long is your dog walked? How often does he go to the park? How many hours a week to you devote to training?
Always remember that a tired dog is a good dog. That should be your mantra.
Feel free to message me if you have specific questions, or feel more comfortable answering questions privately.

Chase answered on 6/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would never leave a dog alone for a weekend? Who will feed him and make sure he has water? What if he got sick; who would take him to the vet? What if there is an emergency? ETC?????!!!
Leave him with a friend or have a friend come and check on him 2 or 3 times a day, board him or take him with you. Bored and lonely dogs get into trouble, eating things they shouldn't, escaping, etc. Never leave a dog alone like that. I don't mean to be rude, but would you leave a child alone like that? That's how you have to think of it.

Rain

Just get one of these:pet.imageg.net there are several different variates to choose from. Like:javascript:; or, encrypted just use this in a semi-circle around the dog door IN THE HOUSE with only his food, water, and crate in it, with the exception of a few toys. Just put something heavy against the sides on the inside to keep him from pushing it open. I would also suggest using a large bucket instead of bowl for his water, and one of these for his food:encrypted I also like some of the others' suggestions. Hope this helped, best regards=D!

Rain answered on 6/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You should definitely get a dog-sitter or arrange for your dog to stay at a boarding facility. I needed to board my 3 large-breed dogs while I'm on vacation for a week, which can get expensive.

I did a little digging and actually found a very nice privately owned boarding facility outside of town that only charged $14/day per dog, included food, an indoor air conditioned ROOM for each dog, not a cage, a room! and they walk them 3 times a day on their multi-acre lot. All of that for $14/day?!?! yeah... and the owner/operator of the facility is an ex vet assistant.

So look around, search online using your zip code, because with a little digging you may find a great option for your dog that doesn't involve missing base boards and inside-out couch cushions.

You have all of these issues because your dog is home alone.
I would and could never leave my dog unattended for that ling walks or no walks. His boredom is leading to destruction. Spring for a sitter. Go on craigslist. Board him. Anything but solitary.