Lately, my 2 yr old male Shih Tzu seems to be weak in his hind legs. Any ideas what might be wrong?

He runs and plays just fine but when I watch him at his dish eating or drinking his hind legs sometimes trimble. He hasn't had any accidents or injuries and this just started in the last 2 weeks. Could he have hip displasia at 2?
Thanks

Asked by Member 927282 on Dec 4th 2009 Tagged shihtzu in Health & Wellness

Answers

chesnut

he could have something wrong with his musculoskeketal system..he could have hip displasia,arthiritas,..you should take him to the vet

chesnut answered on 12/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

He could of hurt his back or his legs. Could be anything from a strained muscle to HD, yes at 2 yes, HD is not arthritis , it is a genetic problem. There has been lots of research about it , but basically it can happen in puppyhood. I suggest a vet appt. and also if they examine him they can figure out where and x-ray that part of him. good luck.

Boo

There's a chance your pup could have injured a vertebrae from jumping up and down on furniture. You'll need to take your pup to a vet for examination to make sure there are no muscular-skeletal issues or pinched nerves. I'd suggest you try to keep your baby from jumping up and down from the furniture. Small dogs are quite prone to back, hip and knee injury because of furniture jumping.

I'm looking into stairs for Boo as we speak so we can avert any injuries. She likes to be on the bed with us all the time and we're the ones doing the bending and lifting..hahahaha. I'm geting too old for this. The pet stairs are really for me ;-)

Boo answered on 12/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer