Jasper

Lately Jasper has been growling and snapping at dogs that come to close to me or him. He usually only growls/snaps when

the dog has been following him around 'butt sniffing' for too long or that kind of thing, but I still don't like that he is getting snappy. What if it was a little kid bugging him? He has never snapped at a person (well not since we got him and trained him not to!) but I'm still worried.

My dog trainer told me to bring a water bottle with me when I'm going to the dog park and when I notice the 'tell tale about to snap signs' like pacing that I should spray Jasper.

Will that work? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Asked by Jasper on May 11th 2009 Tagged snapping, aggressionwhenannoyed, growling in Aggression

Answers

easy, just correct the dog, DONT pett the dog when its being back just like make any type of quick sound and follow with a touch, it might knip, so stay calm-assertive or your dog will continue doing this. Spray bottles are unnesassary.

Stormy

SOMEBODY has been watching too much Caesar Milan who's background is in dog GROOMING- NOT dog BEHAVIOR!
Poking the dog when he is already growling will only further along his agression and he MAY turn and snap at YOU!

Spray bottles work, if you put them to "laser mode" lol. The stream of water startles them. But some dogs LOVE it so its not effective on all dogs. It sounds like Jasper has developed a bad assocation. Dog=but sniffing=BAD! I bet you also get a little tense when other dogs come around because you know he may growl or snap. Jasper is picking up on YOUR uneasyness and he may not know why but he knows YOU dont like the dog so he reacts!!!! Start trying to associate the presence of dogs with GOOD things like his favorite toy, or pieces of chicken or hot dogs (pea sized pieces). Also you shouldnt wait until "ABOUT TO SNAP" you should be re-directing your dogs attention WAY before that! Clap or make a sharp sound and call him away to something pleasant- food or toys.

Stormy answered on 5/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Jasper

I agree 100% with what Stormy said above. That's the advice I was going to give as well :)

As far as the water bottles go- I've tried this with MY Jasper.. and he actually LOVES it. It really depends on different dogs, but I wouldn't recommend the water bottle route.

Jasper answered on 5/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rusty

I understand your concern, but I have to ask - why do we assume that dogs should just put up with whatever rude behavior (and from the dog's point of view, too much butt sniffing is rude) that people or other animals feel like offering? Wouldn't you feel like snapping at a friend or coworker who insisted on following you around, got into your personal space and wouldn't let up?
I hear what you're saying about kids, but that's why kids and dogs should ALWAYS be supervised when they are together.

Rusty answered on 5/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer