Large white 'pods'/egg-sacs found in dog stool?

Hello,

I apologize for the gross question title and details, but I am somewhat unnerved by what I've recently found in our puppy's feces. I have discovered what appears to be large white pods of some sort that appear to be possibly a kind of egg sac? I at first thought maybe she ingested something strange, but upon further inspection, I saw that you can pop open said said pod and all manner of nastiness comes out of them. Our pup has had worms as a younger puppy before, but it was nothing like this and was easily taken care of with deworming medication. I can't seem to find any pictures online of what is in her stool or any mention of parasites that produce large egg sacs that can be seen with the naked eye. (About the size of small peas..) Any ideas what this could be? It is very late here, and tomorrow we will contact the vet and see if we should come in, though I'm assuming we will since I don't wish to risk this even with the ability to buy medication OTC. (I live in Finland..)

Asked by Member 1150563 on Jan 17th 2013 Tagged worms, parasites, stool, feces, pods, eggsacs, deworm in Worms & Parasites

Answers

It probably is some kind of parasite. Taking her to the vet is a good idea. Good Luck!

Beauty and Nala

I would take him to the vet, it sounds like a parasite of some sort. How is puppy behaving? have any of its eating or playing habits changed? Take a stool sample to the vet so they can find exactly what it is.

Beauty and Nala answered on 11/27/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer